Thursday, April 17, 2014

Augmented Reality

Augmented Reality is the fusion of digital information with either live streaming video or the viewer’s real environment, for example Google Glass. 








Here is a picture of my friend trying out Google Glass at a demo.





AR is a way to connect the virtual world with the real world, and this interaction helps us experience abstract concepts and seeks to enhance understanding. Some advantages of AR include apps that can help people get through their daily tasks; an example of this would be a map app that tells you how to get somewhere if you become lost. A disadvantage of AR, relating to teaching, is that the technology could serve as a distraction. My experience with AR would be using the Oculus Rift which is a virtual reality headset for 3D gaming. While designing the Oculus Rift, they came up with the idea of attaching a special camera lens so that you get a real-world view. I really enjoyed playing with it, because it was something I’ve never experienced before. It blurred the lines between what was real and what was virtual; it was a very cool experience.  




Here is a picture of the Oculus Rift that my friend got and let me play with. 












                AR will probably become more prevalent in the near future. My friend in the picture above was part of the Google Glass demo and he told me a lot about it. He said that Google believes everyone will be wearing Google Glass in the next 10 years; it will be normal to be walking down the street and see everyone wearing Google Glass. AR can be a brand new way to access information as well as teach in schools. I can see it being used as a way to possibly apply class material to real life. For example, if you’re learning about different biomes in an environmental systems class, you could use some sort of AR technology to physically look around a desert or rainforest. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about it potentially being distracted, and that is one element that concerns me is the possibility of people growing more and more distant from actual interaction.

    ReplyDelete